Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Self-Analysis

   Though my feelings about genocide have not really changed through the course of this blog project, I do believe this project has lead to a growth in my knowledge and has allowed me to further understand the issue of genocide in Darfur, by understanding both sides of the argument. When I began this project, I was very pro-intervention, and could not even begin to understand why some people had a non-intervention position on the issue of genocide. This was unfathomable to me, as I could find not a single reason why we should not get involved to end genocide and save millions of lives. After the completion of this project, I am still pro-intervention, but I have a more complete understanding of both positions of the debate. I am now capable of understanding why non-interventionists do not want to get involved, both through personal experience with classmates’ opinions and through research. Genocide and intervention are a complicated issue. Financial problems, state sovereignty, chance of success, getting involved for the right reasons and many other issues factor in to why some people believe we should not get involved in the genocide occurring in Darfur. On the other hand, this project has made it obvious to me just how important getting involved now and stopping human rights violations is.  I believe that based on the millions of people suffering, the violence, the environment that creates more genocide, spreading to other countries and starting new conflicts, our responsibility to protect, and our capability to make a difference, that we should definitely be involved in ending the conflict. This project has allowed me to expand my knowledge, and learn that international issues are not as cut and dried as they may seem to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment